Future Skills Council Interim Report / Rapport provisoire du Conseil des compétences futures
Future Skills Council
Summary of Preliminary Engagement
In February 2019, the Honourable Patty Hajdu, Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour announced the appointment of members of the Future Skills Council with a mandate to:
• engage and gather perspectives from across private, public, labour and not-for profit sectors on:
- emerging and persistent skills gaps;
- identification of transferable skills and competencies needed across different sectors;
- new skills development approaches and technologies; and
- innovative measurement approaches to offer timely and reliable evidence on in-demand skills and effective skills development and training models.
• develop a strategic plan that includes a shared vision and recommendations on pan-Canadian priorities related to emerging and in-demand skills, now and into the future; and
• share promising practices and encourage use by Council Members’ networks and more broadly.
In Spring 2019, the Council completed the first milestone in their mandate. Council members met with, and received written submissions from, almost 400 individuals from over 150 organizations to gather perspectives from across private, public and not-for profit sectors. This report is a high level summary of recurring themes on opportunities and challenges for the Council to consider as it develops a robust strategic plan and a call to action for Canada grounded in actionable advice and concrete recommendations.
The Council will continue to engage across all sectors as it develops the strategic plan. The plan will draw from research and foresight scenarios on the future of work to identify key drivers and emerging trends that will drive skills demands in the future. The plan will set out a vision for Canada to position workers’ and employers’ for success in the future, and will identify priority areas for action to ensure that skills development and training programs are evolving to meet new workplace demands. The Council will share the plan publicly in winter 2020.
Read the full Future Skills Council Preliminary Report English (PDF 211 KB)
Conseil des Compétences futures Rapport préliminaire français (PDF 258 KB)