Workshops and Policy and Research Discussion Series
The Bancroft Institute for Studies on Workers’ Compensation and Work Injury, in collaboration with the CRWDP National Office, continues to engage injured workers, advocates and academics through its workshops and Policy and Research Discussion series.
Science & Politics of Work Disability Prevention
On November 29th, The Bancroft Institute is pleased to present a morning session with Professor Ellen MacEachen, Co-Director, Centre for Research on Work Disability Policy, to discuss her new edited collection "The Science and Politics of Work Disability Prevention." (Routledge, 2018)
The event, which will take place at Friends House in Toronto, will also include presentations from other contributors to the book, as well as a handful of panel discussions. One panel will feature injured workers who have successfully returned to work discussing the experiences and supports that made their transition back to employment possible. A second panel will feature academics, activists, healthcare professionals, and worker representatives offering their perspectives on how to build on the successful cases discussed earlier in the day.
The event runs from 9am to 1pm. See the full agenda and register here
There is a suggested donation of $10, payable when you register online or when you arrive at the event. There is no charge for unwaged or underemployed attendees. Drinks and light snacks will be available.
* Ellen MacEachen (Editor, The Science and Politics of Work Disability Prevention, Routledge, 2018)
* Kari-Pekka Martimo (Finnish Institute of Occupational Health)
* Sang-Hun Mun (Community Organizer, IAVGO Community Legal Clinic)
* Joe Doweall (VP and Government Affairs Representative, International Union of Operating Engineers)
* Kier Munn (Lawyer, Office of the Worker Advisor)
* Ashley Soza Pilkington (Nurse)
* Victoria Mummery (Rehabilitation Nurse, Independent Consultant)
* Debbie Coulson (International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 793)
* Rebecca Gewurtz (School of Rehabilitation Science, McMaster University)
* Steve Mantis (Chair, Research Action Committee, Ontario Network of Injured Workers' Groups)
Bancroft Institute 2018 Symposium
- April 25-26, 2018. Keynotes: Antony Singleton and Maryth Yachnin. Workshop location: Friends House, 60 Lowther Avenue, Toronto, Ontario. Click here for more information, click here for text version of the flyer.
Videos for the following Policy and Research Discussion series are available:
- Dec 4, 2017 session: Research and Reporting on Workers' Compensation in the Precarious Economy (see flyer for details)
Speaker: Sara Mojtehedzadeh [video presentation]
Speaker: Ellen MacEachen [video presentation coming soon]
Speaker: Katherine Lippel [video presentation coming soon]
- Policy & Research Discussion series no. 6 (Nov. 17, 2016): Barriers to Return-to-Work in a Context of Social Vulnerability
Keynote speaker: Stephanie Premji [video presentation]
Ivana Petricone, Injured Worker Story [video presentation]
Panel discussion: Rebecca Gewurtz (McMaster University, School of Rehabilitation Science); Judy Kondrat (Human Rights Legal Support Centre); Debbie Coulson (International Union of Operating Engineers); Steve Mantis (Ontario Network of Injured Workers Groups) [video presentation]
Sang-Hun Mun, Injured Worker Story [video presentation]
Annie, Injured Worker Story [video presentation]
- Policy & Research Discussion series no. 5 (May 17, 2016): Mental Health Status of Ontario Injured Workers with Permanent Impairments
Keynote speaker: Fergal O’Hagan. Click here to watch the video.
Panel discussion: Nadia Collins, Margery Wardle, Mortimer Mamelak, Peri Ballantyne. Click here to watch the video.
Injured Worker Story, Seeta Correia. Click here to watch the video.
Injured Worker Story, Beryl Brown. Click here to watch the video.
Policy & Research Discussion series no. 4 (May 14, 2015): How Characteristics of Workers’ Compensation Systems Affect Doctors: A Comparative Study of Québec and Ontario. Keynote speakers: Katherine Lippel, Joan Eakin, Linn Holness, Dana Howse [video presentation]
- Policy & Research Discussion series no. 3 (Oct. 31, 2014): Interactions between Injured Workers and Insurers in Workers’ Compensation Systems. Keynote speakers: Beth Kilgour and Agnieszka Kosny [video presentation]
Research and Action Workshops:
Research and Action Workshop (October 22-23, 2015): Workers’ Compensation and Poverty: What Does the Research Show?
Wayne Lewchuk [video presentation]
Karen Messing [video presentation]
Emile Tompa [video presentation]
Peri Ballantyne [video presentation]
Bonnie Heath [video presentation]
- Research and Action Workshop (April 14-15, 2014): Has the WCB/WSIB Abandoned its Mandate? Keynote speaker: Jeffrey Hilgert
Details for the following Policy and Research Discussion series are available:
Policy & Research Discussion series no. 7 (Oct 3, 2017): Pre-existing or related? Workplace injury and chronic health conditions. Keynote speakers - Becky Casey and Peri Ballantyne. Click here to access the flyer (pdf), click here to access the flyer (word).
Policy & Research Discussion series no. 2 (Oct. 10, 2013): “Unjust by Design” (administrative justice). Keynote speaker: Ron Ellis
- Policy & Research Discussion series no. 1 (May 7, 2013): From Disability to Welfare. Keynote speaker: John Stapleton
Source: Bancroft Institute webpage on the Injured Workers Online website: http://injuredworkersonline.org/workers-compensation/research-and-education/bancroft/