Moving Forward Together
Disability and Work in Canada (DWC) Initiative
In 2017, the Centre for Research on Work Disability Policy (CRWDP), the Canadian Council on Rehabilitation and Work (CCRW), Inclusion Newfoundland (InclusionNL) and the Ontario Network of Injured Workers’ Groups (ONIWG) came together to support the development of a pan-Canadian strategy for disability and work. We are calling this collaboration the Disability and Work in Canada (DWC) Initiative.
After two years of consultations with persons with disabilities, injured workers, disability organizations, government representatives, labour/unions, employers and service providers from across the country – through national conferences, provincial/territorial-based focus groups, and an online survey that garnered more than 500 responses – the DWC Steering Committee published its pan-Canadian strategy for disability and work in November 2019.
DWC Strategy and Supporting Documents
The Pan-Canadian Strategy for Disability and Work is now available: DWC Strategy: Moving Forward Together (PDF version), DWC Strategy: Moving Forward Together (Word version), DWC Strategy: Moving Forward Together (Plain text)
To read the draft strategy, and the executive summary from the draft strategy, please click here.
DWC 2019 Conference
Registration for the third annual conference "Disability & Work in Canada" - 2019 is now open.
Through the activities and continued collaboration, the momentum to develop and implement a strategy across the country is growing. Here is the list of the events and activities spearheaded by the DWC Initiative to-date:
- National Policy Roundtable, 2015. “Informing the Roadmap for Work Disability Policy in Canada”. The roundtable provided an opportunity for dialogue among senior policy officials on issues related to disability & work and formed the partnerships that fed into the DWC initiative.
- Disability and Work in Canada National Conference, 2017. Discussions at the conference contributed to the development of the draft strategy.
- National Policy Roundtable, 2018. “Developing a Vision and Strategy for the Future.” Vision and pillars for the Pan-Canadian strategy on disability & work were discussed at the roundtable. This meeting was an opportunity to further strengthen existing partnerships and form new ones. Policy Roundtable summary (PDF version); Policy Roundtable summary (Word version).
- Disability and Work in Canada National Conference, 2018. A draft strategy on Disability and Work was distributed in the Fall of 2018, prior to the conference. The objective of the conference was to review the strategy and to foster broad consensus on its key elements.
- National Policy Roundtable, 2019. Policy Roundtable Executive Summary (PDF version); Policy Roundtable Executive Summary (Word version).
DWC Steering Committee Members (listed alphabetically by last name): Alec Farquhar, Centre for Research on Work Disability Policy; Maureen Haan, Canadian Council on Rehabilitation and Work; Kathy Hawkins, Inclusion NL: Employer Support Services; Steve Mantis, Ontario Network of Injured Workers Groups; Kathy Padkapayeva, Centre for Research on Work Disability Policy; Ron Saunders, Institute for Work & Health; Emile Tompa, Centre for Research on Work Disability Policy; and Monica Winkler, Canadian Council on Rehabilitation and Work.