- Professor, Department of Geography, University of Victoria
- Canada Research Chair
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Scholar
- Past Director of research at the Occupational Health and Safety Agency for Healthcare
- Consulted with the Royal Commission on the Workers’ Compensation Board in BC advising them on issues of stress and health
- PhD in Epidemiology (UBC)
- MSc in Health Service Planning
- MA in history (specializing in the history of public health)
Areas of expertise
He conducts an extensive program on the social determinants of health with a focus on rural health, food security, and nutrition policy.
I have a long-standing research interest in the workplace determinants of health and have conducted research on this topic in various workforces in Canada and internationally.
Aleck conducted research on community health. I was a national board member on the “Coasts Under Stress” project funded through the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council and I currently direct a Canadian Institutes for Health Research project on rural and northern health in BC (NETHRN-BC). Finally, I have recently developed a program of research on public health nutrition and food security. Last, but not least, I continue to conduct research and write on the history of public health and healthcare policy in Canada.
For contact and additional information, please visit: Aleck Ostry