Disability and Work in Canada Conference 2019:
DISABILITY AND WORK IN CANADA
Delta Hotels Ottawa City Centre – December 4-5, 2019
CONFERENCE PLANNING COMMITTEE
Disability and Work in Canada 2019 was held at the Delta Ottawa City Centre on December 4 and 5, 2019. The conference reviewed a revised pan-Canadian strategy to improve the level of employment of persons with disabilities and identify the most important early steps in implementation. Speaker videos, presentation slides, notes and other materials from the conference can be found below.
Since the National Conference in 2017, efforts have been underway to develop a vision and strategy for the future, focused on key initiatives to increase the employment of persons with a disability. A draft strategy was distributed in the Fall of 2018 and discussed at the National Conference in December 2018. The strategy was currently being revised following feedback from consultation across Canada that took place in the spring of 2019. A revised strategy is available here below.
Conference agenda: DWC2019 conference agenda (PDF version); DWC2019 conference agenda (Word version); DWC2019 conference agenda (Plain text version); DWC2019 conference agenda (Large font PDF version)
Conference program: DWC2019 conference program (PDF version), DWC2019 conference program (Word version), DWC2019 conference program (Plain text version), DWC2019 conference program (Large font PDF version)
Moving Forward Together: A Canadian Strategy for Disability and Work: DWC Strategy: Moving Forward Together (PDF version), DWC Strategy: Moving Forward Together (Word version), DWC Strategy: Moving Forward Together (Plain text version), DWC Strategy: Moving Forward Together (Large font PDF version)
DECEMBER 4 - PRESENTATION VIDEOS AND MATERIALS
December 4: Morning Sessions
December 4: Afternoon Sessions
DECEMBER 5 - PRESENTATION VIDEOS AND MATERIALS
December 5: Morning Sessions
How will we know if we're making progress?
- Presentation slides: Estimation of the Societal Benefits of an Accessible and Inclusive Canada, by Emile Tompa (pdf)
- Presentation slides: Dynamics of Disability: New Results from the 2017 Canadian Survey on Disability, by Stuart Morris and Gail Fawcett (pdf)
- Presentation slides: Measuring Accessibility on the Canadian Survey on Disability, by Pamela Lahey (pdf)
- Diapositives de présentation: Mesurer l’accessibilité à partir de l’Enquête canadienne sur l’incapacité, par Pamela Lahey (pdf)
December 5: Afternoon Sessions
Proposal for strategy implementation process
- Presentation slides: “Strategy implementation: A proposal for getting it done", by Emile Tompa, Ron Saunders and Alec Farquhar (pdf)
December 5: Closing of the Conference
Photos from the conference. Conference photographer: Amir Mofidi
- Day 1 Photos (.zip) - 12.13 mb
- Day 2 Photos (.zip) - 21.84 mb
- Day 2 Delegate Commitment Photos (.zip) - 3.51 mb
Notes from the conference
- Day 1 Parallel Session III - Sharing best practices for accommodating employees with disabilities (Word)
- Day 2 Parallel Session on Strategy Implementation - Comprehensive Supports (Word)
- Day 2 Parallel Session on Strategy Implementation - Partnerships (Word)
Publication about the Pan-Canadian Strategy for Disability & Work. Vu U, Moser C. Strategy and Standard: Two recent developments in disability and work. OOHNA Journal | Spring/Summer 2020. Volume 39(1), p.13-16.